Dr. John Monteleone is one of only three board-certified sports medicine physicians in the entire Central Valley. He has earned universal recognition and praise for his tireless devotion to sports medicine. Dr. Monteleone has served the equivalent of a fellowship program by working at the STAR Injury Center and Sports Medicine Clinic, Saint Agnes Medical Center's Sports Medicine Center, as a professional team physician for the Fresno Grizzlies baseball team (affiliated with the San Francisco Giants), the Fresno Falcons hockey team, and as team physician for Clovis West High School football team. Dr. Monteleone now serves as a physician member of the sports medicine team at Fresno State University. He also continues to perform hundreds of physicals each year, both on his own patients and students in various school districts.
He began his sports medicine training at the University of California, Davis Medical School and continued his education in the American College of Sports Medicine and the American Medical Society of Sports Medicine. He took yearly courses on being a team physician and in advanced sports medicine training.
As a faculty physician in the Department of Family Practice, at University Medical Center, he pioneered and designed the curriculum in sports medicine for UCSF-Fresno residents and medical students. He is currently training family practice residents to do sports medicine, both in the field and in his office.
Dr. Monteleone is board-certified by the American Board of Family Practice in both family practice since 1984 and sports medicine (Certificate of Advanced Qualifications in Sports Medicine) since 1997.
Dr. Monteleone is a member of the hospital medical staff at Clovis, Fresno, and University Medical Centers, Valley Children’s Hospital, Fresno Surgery Center, and Saint Agnes Medical Center.
Dr. Monteleone has both professionally contributed to and participated in a number of sports-related activities. In addition to his extensive medical commitments, he enjoys running, tennis, hiking, fishing, and spending time with his wife and three children.
To schedule an appointment with Dr. Monteleone at Sierra Pacific Orthopedics, please call (559) 446-1000.
Education, Training, and Affiliations
- Medical Degree, University of California, Davis Medical School
- Internship, Family Medicine, University of California, San Francisco, Fresno
- Residency, Family Medicine, University of California, San Francisco, Fresno
- Board-Certified, Family Medicine
- Board-Certified, Sports Medicine
- Advanced Study, American College of Sports Medicine
- Advanced Sports Medicine Training, STAR Injury Center and Saint Agnes Medical Center, Sports Medicine Centers
- Member, American Academy of Family Practice
- Member, American College of Sports Medicine
- Member, American College of Sports Medicine, Southwest Chapter
- Member, American Medical Society for Sports Medicine
- Member, California Medical Association
- Member, Fresno-Madera Medical Society